About Me

My photo
From Rugby, Warwickshire; Went to Marlborough Secondary School; Studied at Rugby College of Engineering Technology; Worked at HM Forces - British Army; Studied at Royal School of Military Engineering; Former Maintenance Technician at International Computers Limited; Former IT Support at GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd; Lives in Letchworth

Pages

Sunday 15 March 2015

J72 chassis conversion for DCC

J72 chassis conversion for DCC

One of the sick J72’s has been stripped and degreased in my ultrasonic bath.

I propose to remove around 2mm of material between the marks on the frames (lower picture) the other side will be milled to the same profile and a 5mm hole drilled where the motor brushes contact the frame. This will allow the chip to sit in the boiler and the holes will allow the motor wires to exit the frames without making contact. Unfortunately the weather has taken a turn so I will not be degreasing the mill this week! As a foot note I have found another source of Replacement gear and muffs for split-frame Bachmann J72 see this link http://shpws.me/FD3X


2 comments:

  1. Looking good Alan...I've done five split chassis converts but try to keep clear now....Thats a good link to know for axles and gear axles...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is but the J72 is only available like this RTR

    ReplyDelete