About Me

My photo
From Rugby, Warwickshire; Went to Marlborough Secondary School; Studied at Rugby College of Engineering Technology; Worked at HM Forces - British Army; Studied at Royal School of Military Engineering; Former Maintenance Technician at International Computers Limited; Former IT Support at GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd; Lives in Letchworth

Pages

Sunday 30 December 2012

Manufacture of the winding gear cover


 Let’s discuss the manufacture of the cover over the winding gear, the cover has to move with the rear pulley as the jib is raised, this involves small hinge block on the rear end.
First a paper template was cut to check the fit and overall size as I have no scale plans I have to work shapes and sizes from the limited photos I have of the real thing.

Next a temporary brace was glued to the underside to stiffen the cover whilst I made and test fitted the hinge blocks

The final design was subbed to Patterson & Osborne in Newcastle upon Tyne for construction and as you can see the final article fits reasonably well although I do have reservations on the material they used!

1 comment: