About Me

My photo
From Rugby, Warwickshire; Went to Marlborough Secondary School; Studied at Rugby College of Engineering Technology; Worked at HM Forces - British Army; Studied at Royal School of Military Engineering; Former Maintenance Technician at International Computers Limited; Former IT Support at GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd; Lives in Letchworth

Pages

Thursday 25 January 2024

Sentinel 0-6-0 Diesel shunter next loco project.

24/01/2024

I thought I would get a small industrial loco and name it after my long suffering wife who can’t understand the fascination I have in model making!

R30083 Port of Bristol Authority Sentinel 0-6-0 shunter 0-6-0 arrived direct from Hornby for the modest sum of £57.65 with Hobby Reward points. Out of the box I looked a fair representation of the real thing.

Running in on DC using a rolling road for 30 minutes in each direction all was well.  I then removed the body to fit a DCC chip. However I noticed that the cab was not seated properly no big issue it had to come off to fit the driver. More of an issue is the missing screws from the base plate resulting in the pick up wipers being out of line also the poor fit of the front radiator grill! Fortunately this fell off when I attempted to slip a blade behind to remove it. I now suspect now this is a customer return and somehow was sent out as NEW! 



Looking inside the body there would be sufficient space to fit a sound chip. For the time being I have fitted a ZimoMX617N which works well some slight modification on the wiring to the 6 pin socket was require to remove the capacitor soldering the motor wire directly to the motor terminals.

Removing the cab involved removing the front of the three screws under the body. The driver was secured with black tack to the console desk.  The cab fitted better the cheat line lined up this time. The name plated was fitted and the loco put back onto my layout

At a later date I will order a YouChoos immersive Drive Zimo MS500N and Sugar Cube 6 speaker to give “Linda” some voice






No comments:

Post a Comment