About Me

My photo
From Rugby, Warwickshire; Went to Marlborough Secondary School; Studied at Rugby College of Engineering Technology; Worked at HM Forces - British Army; Studied at Royal School of Military Engineering; Former Maintenance Technician at International Computers Limited; Former IT Support at GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd; Lives in Letchworth

Pages

Thursday 19 October 2017

The tale of two Warships D821 'Greyhound' or should I say ‘Ghostrider’!



Yesterday afternoon D821 'Greyhound' ran off at full speed headlong into a parked train at the terminus.  At the time of the incident the locomotive was at rest although the ID was programmed into the hand set.  I was sitting at the work bench making directional lights for the GWR railcar so there was no time to hit the stop.
I powered down the layout after a brief pause on powering up all directional light were on but no response to the handset. I removed the chip and observed burn marks on the heat shrink. The locomotive has been tested on dc with a converter plug and performs as expected in both directions.
Last night it was run at medium speed on the club layout on DC and performed flawlessly.
Fortunately the dealer agreed to replace the chip form me, thank you cm3models. 

Way back on 29 November 2014 “Disaster hits my 14xx after a run in on the rolling road yesterday. Today when it was left on the track white smoke and the dreaded smell of burn PCB wafted from the loco. I have no idea why the decoder went puff I need to check all the wiring in the loco before I install another chip! At first glance there seems nothing wrong with the wiring very strange.” The chip was replaced and has run perfectly ever since 

1 comment:

  1. These chips can be so frustrating at times. and somtimes I'm sure it's just a faulty chip. But it's good when the chip gets replaced as some dealers do not change them.

    ReplyDelete