About Me

My photo
From Rugby, Warwickshire; Went to Marlborough Secondary School; Studied at Rugby College of Engineering Technology; Worked at HM Forces - British Army; Studied at Royal School of Military Engineering; Former Maintenance Technician at International Computers Limited; Former IT Support at GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd; Lives in Letchworth

Pages

Thursday 1 January 2015

Chipping a Bachmann J72

Chipping a Bachmann J72

This model looks very challenging; I have seen a couple of articles posted over the last few years regarding chipping a Bachmann J72. Most say walk away it’s not worth it. Now that is the gauntlet thrown at my feet. First look at my J72 with the body removed has given me a few ideas.

I will mill a recess above the leading driving wheel to take the DCC concepts chip routing the motor wires each side of the worm gear. A clearance channel to take the wires and to isolate the motor brush tags will need to be machined behind the rear driving wheels. Two 2mm tapped holes in each side of the chassis for the pickup wire to be attached to. The material the chassis is made from is I believe Zamak or as we know it Mazak an alloy of zinc aluminium magnesium and copper.


I think it is time to reassemble the locomotive and wait for better weather before I can degrease the machines in my workshop.



2 comments:

  1. The split chassis were good runners, even the Mainline versions with the pancake motor, But as I have no milling machine and a file was slow and hard going I gave up. But I did a B1 and two Ivatt 2P's when I went DCC...But I know a man of your calibre will sort it out....Improvise, Adapt and Overcome...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't machined Mazak before I guess with copper and ally I think i will lubricate the cutter with paraffin, to stop the cutter grabbing

    ReplyDelete