About Me

My photo
From Rugby, Warwickshire; Went to Marlborough Secondary School; Studied at Rugby College of Engineering Technology; Worked at HM Forces - British Army; Studied at Royal School of Military Engineering; Former Maintenance Technician at International Computers Limited; Former IT Support at GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd; Lives in Letchworth

Pages

Saturday 29 November 2014

Disaster hits my 14xx

Disaster hits my 14xx after a run in in on the rolling road yesterday. Today when it was left on the track white smoke and the dreaded smell of burn PCB wafted from the loco. I have no idea why the decoder went puff I need to check all the wiring in the loco before I install another chip! At first glance there seems nothing wrong with the wiring very strange. That was not my only disappointment today I went to the local model railway exhibition with a shopping list and never hit on one item. I did get a cooper craft AEC monarch tanker and a copy of Historic locomotive drawings in 4mm scale by F J Roche and this wagon book for £12 the pair











3 comments:

  1. It's annoying about your 14xx, I have never seen a chip blow like that..

    There is some nice ideas in the layouts you showed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes very strange, it was chipped last year tested but not used. Now I have the layout mechanically and electrically working I thought it would be a good time to have a run and tweak the CV’s. Anyway I set the CV’s gave it a run with the autocoach and went over to Steve’s to remove a couple of chipped ceramic floor tiles with my diamond cutter. When I got home Linda said the railway was making a noise so she turned the power off. When I powered it up the 14xx smoked and crackled, it still stinks off burn PCB in the room in the words of Toyah It's a mystery, oh, it's a mystery
    I'm still searching for a clue, it’s a mystery to me etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it's a little wierd to say the least...Are you going to try a different chip?

    ReplyDelete